Thursday, February 5, 2009

Job Ho!

After weeks of navigating Craig's List, revamping resumes & cover letters and interviews, I finally have a new job. I was all set to throw in the towel and just accept the job at American Eagle. In fact, I was supposed to start today. I was really hoping I did not have to consign myself to retail. First of all, $8.55 an hour will not pay the bills. Second, it was meaningless work. In the end, there just was not much in it for me other than a 40% discount.

But, nonetheless, as of Monday, I was starting to accept the fact that American Eagle indeed would have to do as temporary respite on my journey to find, at the very least, a decent job. Then I received a call from Community Health Network of Washington regarding a resume I had submitted at the beginning of January. They filled that position, but she really wanted me to come in to interview for a different position. I interviewed on Tuesday and got official word yesterday.

So about the job...Officially I am the Clinic Advocacy Field Organizer. It is my job to put grassroots pressure on legislators to not cut funding for these clinics. These clinics are funded by the state and serve people who cannot afford health care or whose doctors do not accept medicade/care. So these clinics are really the only options for these people. If the funding is cut, many of the clinics will be closed making it extremely tough for these people to be treated.

Why cut the funding? Well Washington, just as most other states, are in a huge deficit, so many programs will see huge budget cuts. But why healthcare? I am sure there are many other areas that are not nearly as important as health.

Unfortunately it is only temporary. Once the final budget comes out towards the end of April there is nothing we can really do. Either we win or we lose. Regardless, I am excited to be doing good work again. I am relieved to have a well paying job. Glad that monkey is off my back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats man! good to hear. And I really like the new pic on your header, pretty cool. Well done sir!

Josh Thorington said...

You didn't finish your blog... read the last sentence!

Unknown said...

Hey Justin,

I'm sure you have already thought about this, but just in case you havent...

You should get in contact with the University of Washington Medical school and see what types of free clinics they offer. I know they do a ton of stuff like that here at Wayne State. I know U-dub is the only university that serves the tri-state area when it comes to producing physicians, so they have to have a significant free-clinic program. Also, my aunt works for a Seattle hospital to recruit physicians across the country, she may be able to get you some good contacts if you are interested and/or think that would help your cause.

By now you know that college kids are the most passionate and most likely to actually do something for their cause. At the very least, I am sure you would find a lot of allies in your case for advocacy.

Anyway, just a few thoughts, I hope I'm not insulting you if you think they are really obvious.

Hope all is well!

Will